The Nunatsiavut Government’s Department of Lands and Natural Resources has partnered with CLEAR to co-create a community-based monitoring program for plastic pollution in water, snow, ice, shorelines, and traditional wild foods. Sites are currently based in Nain and Makkovik. Liz Pijogge is the Nunatsiavut lead on the project and Max Liboiron is the CLEAR lead. Data is owned and controlled by the Nunatsiavut Government and publications occur only after community review. This project is funded by the Nunatsiavut Government, the Northern Contaminants Program, and ArcticNet.
- Plastic ingestion by seals (over 100 samples)
- Plastic ingestion in Arctic char (over 100 samples)
- Plastic ingestion in turbot (close to 100 samples)
- Plastic ingestion in ducks, cod, pigeons, and any other animals caught for food (sample size variable)
- Shoreline plastics
- Surface water plastics
- Microplastics in snow and outdoor drinking water sources